In today’s fast-paced world, finding peace and serenity within our living spaces has become increasingly important. One effective way to achieve this is through seasonal decluttering. By periodically assessing and organizing our belongings, we can create a harmonious environment that promotes productivity, reduces stress, and enhances overall well-being. In this blog post, we’ll delve into the art of seasonal decluttering, providing you with valuable tips and strategies to optimize your space and transform your home into a clutter-free sanctuary.
Welcome to my Year Long Thorough Declutter Series. We declutter 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week. Each day we do a daily task based on the room we are working on. Today, our task is to start decluttering your clutter in your 2nd bathroom. If you prefer watching videos, check out my youtube channel here. Today, we’ll look at Seasonal Decluttering.
The best way to develop a new habit is by slowly and daily application. We will begin a new daily declutter habit starting with the 2nd bathroom. In the Year Long Thorough Declutter Series, we will declutter 30 minutes a day, five days a week on weekdays. Sign up to receive daily encouragement and motivation.
Plus, you’ll learn your specific daily task to work toward completing the goal of a Year Long Thorough Declutter where you will declutter every space and learn how to start to purge your house. Are you ready to finally get organized? If so, will you join us? Leave a comment below to subscribe.
If you are new to the blog, welcome! I blog about cleaning, decluttering, and organizing. You can find my free printables to help you get organized in the drop down menu under the Printables category.
Currently we are working on decluttering the 2nd bathroom. The daily task for today, May 17, 2023, is to begin decluttering your feminine products. Remember, we are focusing on just the 2nd Bathroom area, so don’t declutter your whole house. We will cover each room separately.
Seasonal Decluttering: A Comprehensive Guide to Simplify Your Space
- Understanding the Importance of Seasonal Decluttering: When it comes to maintaining an organized space, seasonal decluttering plays a vital role. Not only does it help you reclaim valuable square footage, but it also brings mental clarity and improves your overall quality of life. By embracing the change of seasons as an opportunity to declutter, you can tackle the accumulation of unnecessary items, prevent clutter build-up, and create a more functional and aesthetically pleasing environment.
- Developing a Seasonal Decluttering Routine: To make seasonal decluttering a seamless process, it’s important to establish a routine that suits your lifestyle. Start by identifying the ideal frequency for decluttering based on your home’s needs and your available time. Whether it’s every three months or twice a year, consistency is key. Set aside dedicated time in your calendar to focus on decluttering, making it a non-negotiable part of your seasonal routine.
- Sorting and Categorizing Possessions: One of the fundamental steps in seasonal decluttering is sorting and categorizing your possessions. Begin by creating three distinct categories: keep, donate/sell, and discard. Carefully evaluate each item, considering its usefulness, sentimental value, and overall importance in your life. Be honest with yourself and avoid holding onto items that no longer serve a purpose or bring you joy.
- Tackling Specific Areas of Your Home: Each season, focus on different areas of your home to avoid feeling overwhelmed. Start with high-traffic areas like the entrance hallway, living room, or kitchen. Then move on to closets, storage spaces, and bedrooms. By systematically decluttering specific areas, you can maintain order throughout your entire living space, preventing clutter from spreading and accumulating.
- Utilizing Storage Solutions: Effective storage solutions can make a world of difference when it comes to maintaining a clutter-free home. Invest in practical and aesthetically pleasing storage containers, bins, and baskets. Maximize vertical space by utilizing shelves, hooks, and organizers. By implementing smart storage solutions, you can create a sense of order and easily find what you need while keeping clutter at bay.
- Maintaining a Minimalist Mindset: Seasonal decluttering goes beyond tidying up physical possessions; it encourages a minimalist mindset. Embrace the concept of intentional living by being mindful of what you bring into your home. Prioritize quality over quantity and carefully consider new purchases. Adopting a minimalist mindset allows you to focus on what truly matters, leading to a more fulfilling and clutter-free life.
Seasonal decluttering is an empowering practice that brings numerous benefits to your physical and mental well-being. By incorporating this routine into your life, you can create a space that nurtures tranquility, enhances productivity, and fosters a sense of harmony. Remember, seasonal decluttering is a journey, not a one-time task. Embrace the process, celebrate small victories, and enjoy the transformation as your home becomes a sanctuary of simplicity and serenity.
I personally have a bad habit of placing items that need to be donated in the laundry room behind the door. Out of sight, out of mind, right? Wrong. Delaying decisions means we still need to declutter.
Maybe you have a habit of delaying decisions, too. Let’s decide today where your decluttered items need to go. Do they need to be donated? Disposed of? Don’t delay that decision any longer. If they need to be donated, sort and put them in your vehicle. Then, make a note in your calendar to drop them off at your favorite charity.
As you are decluttering your items, I want you to try not to just move them to another room. You may be tempted to do that. However, resist the urge to keep everything. Decluttering means we actually part with these items. Otherwise, assign those items a permanent home where you can best utilize them.
Seasonal Decluttering tips that apply to all the different types of decluttering
1.Only spend time on your specific daily task.
2.Do not get side-tracked or distracted.
3.Work within a time of day that you have the most energy and stamina. This is one of the most useful declutter motivation tips. Listen to your body and work at decluttering when you feel the most alert and energized.
4.Avoid thinking too long about whether to keep or discard an item. This is one specific way for How to Be Ruthless When Decluttering.
5.Avoid cleaning during your declutter. The goal is to purge the dead weight. Getting rid of the clutter is your priority. Cleaning can be accomplished later. Read on for more declutter motivation tips and my room specific deep clean checklist, though, as you will begin cleaning after your declutter.
Ideas and Tips for Seasonal Decluttering:
1. boxes -preferably ones you can donate (Avoid plastic storage bins because you may be tempted to just store the items and not part with them.)
2. sturdy trash bags
3. marker/pen to label boxes
Decluttering Tip: Avoid using storage bins to declutter. Storage bins tend to tell your brain to “store” the items for later. That is just delaying decisions. If you aren’t getting rid of items when you declutter, you are not truly decluttering. This is why I recommend a trash bag, also. A trash bag tells your brain to “trash” the item.
Obviously, recycle if you have that option. The boxes you use should be ones you are willing to part with, so I recommend sturdy cardboard boxes. As to donations, there are many charities that will come pick up your items for you at your home.
I use one in particular where you can book an appointment for pick-up online. This is so convenient, as it saves you the hassle of hauling stuff away yourself. Scheduling that pick-up also motivates you to declutter by a certain date.
Decluttering Steps for Seasonal Decluttering:
1. Start by eliminating trash first- use a sturdy trash bag
2. Sort items by category if needed so you can see what you have
3.Get rid of items that don’t work or that work poorly, expired items, anything you don’t love, anything that you’ll never use again
4. Box up the donations and trash/recycle the rest
5.Select a charity to donate your items and schedule the pick-up if that is an option
How Do You Declutter Your Entire House (and get it deep clean?): Need to deep clean?
First, My How to Deep Clean Your Kitchen list can be found here.
Second, My How to Deep Clean Your Bathroom list can be found here.
Third, My How to Deep Clean Your Kids’ Rooms list can be found here.
Fourth, My How to Deep Clean Your Living Room list can be found here.
Fifth, My How to Deep Clean Your Bedroom list can be found here.
You can get your printable Daily Housekeeping Routine and Deep Cleaning Your House Schedule here. This 15 page printable kit is delivered digitally to your email for you to print and personalize. What Does a Deep Clean Include? It includes a daily schedule, calendar pages, and deep cleaning checklists for every room and area of your home. Check out the link above to see a sample page of what you’ll get in my printable set designed to help you create your personal Homemaking Checklist.
Also, you can get the complete digital printable copy of the Year Long Thorough Declutter Series Calendar and Checklists here. The printable digital download is delivered to your email. It includes 25 pages of printable calendar pages and checklists to help you declutter every room in your home. You can find that here.
New to deemiddleton.com and don’t know where to start? I recommend going in this order:
Step 1: Check out this post on the 1st step you should take to get organized. If you don’t have a calendar, you can grab my free weekly printable calendar page here. It is in my shopify store, but it is totally free, so you won’t be prompted to put in any payment information. It is a free download and will be delivered straight to your email.
Step 2: Create a daily Housekeeping Schedule. You can use this series to start to set up your own schedule. You can also use this simplified weekly schedule.If you often ask: What is the fastest way to clean a dirty house? Or, if you struggle to get organized and have tried and failed time and again, you can likely find out which of these 11 reasons cause you to fail to get organized.
Step 3: How do you remove clutter? How Do You Declutter Your Home?.…Sign up for the Declutter Series and get your entire home decluttered in just 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week.”Declutter Your Home” checklists are provided in each email.
Step 4: What is the fastest way to clean a dirty house? Use a timer and use the Deep Cleaning Checklists above. They will help you get your home sparkling after you’ve decluttered.
Interested in becoming a full-time blogger like me? Check out my blogging series. At the top of every page on my blog, you’ll find a drop down menu. Just select the BLOGGING category.
Check out the most popular posts on deemiddleton.com:
14 Things That Make Your Home Look Cluttered
How to Create a Daily Housekeeping Schedule
How to Clean House When You Are Completely Overwhelmed By Clutter
What is Preventing You From Getting Organized?
Also, check out a great post on some types of decluttering here